Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Book Review about "Eragon"

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

The story of "Eragon" is about a young farmboy named Eragon, who found a polished blue stone which turned out to be a dragon egg. The dragon hatchling hence chose him to be a Dragon Rider. Plunged into a perilous new world of destiny, Eragon only had an ancient sword and an old storyteller's advice to guide him through the lands of Alagaesia and defeat the tyrant king Galbatorix...

1)Lesson learnt
It is an intriguing book of excitement and adventure. From reading the book, I have learnt that in life, one very important moral is "determination". Despite the challenges that Eragon faced during his adventures, he never gave up, just striving on and on. Such determination is admirable. In fact, determination is what keeps us going all the way to the end despite the challenges. Without it, many tasks would be impossible to complete. Determination is one the greatest assets we can possess. Determination can bring out the best in us. It is also the tool we use to defeat discouragement, the tool we use to overcome temporary failure to prevent failure from becoming permanent.

How can we succeed if we fall? The countless times Eragon failed, and the countless times he tried again. It was all worthwhile when he finally succeeded. DETERMINATION is what we use to SUCCEED!

2)Comparing two characters in a book

The two characters that I would choose to compare would be Eragon, the determined Dragon Rider and Galbatorix, the evil ruler of Alagaesia. For one, they are completely different in terms of good and evil. Galbatorix is the evil ruler that does not care about most of the ordinary mortals in Alagesia, unlike Eragon, who tries to help whoever needs help.

Also, they are also worlds apart in terms of their loyalty towards their peers and seniors. For example, Eragon was exceedingly loyal to his teacher who taught him magic, Brom, and always tried to help Brom whenever possible, even if Brom kept a lot of secrets from him. Galbatorix however, after being trained by the rest of Dragon Riders, even after exceeding them in power, he killed most of them just to achieve his goals.

3)Rewriting an exerpt in a different point of view

I would like to rewrite an exerpt from the story in Eragon's point of view:

I was starting to doubt whatever Saphira said. It would be such a wild and desperate thing for us to do. Contempt for my indecision rose and a harsh smile danced on my cracked lips. "She's right..."I thought to myself. Nothing mattered to me any more except the act itself. The doing is the thing, I told myself. And what would give me more satisfaction than hunting down the strangers? It was not long before a terrible energy and strength grew within me. It grabbed my emotions and forged them into a solid bar of pure anger with one word stamped on it: REVENGE. My heart pounded as I said with conviction, I will do it.

4)The most interesting part

I feel that the most interesting part of the book is when Saphira is introduced into the story as a dragon hatchling. I enjoyed how they discribed the dragon hatchling, both its appearence and its behavior. No one has seen a real life dragon before, much less observe how it behaves. How Christopher Paolini described the dragon was rather interesting, as the reader is somehow able to visualise how a dragon should really look like. Such ability to picture the characters in the story is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment