Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I am lying. True or False?

"I am lying." If it is true and I am lying, then I am saying something false (that is what a lie is) and if it is false and I am saying something false, then it is true that I am lying. Such a statement is self-contradictory It contradicts itself. Its truth entails its falsity and its falsity entails its truth.
In life, people may also claim something which is opposite to what they claim earlier on, like when I asked whether it is true that I am lying. It may not be that obvious but there is contradiction in that statement.

If I make a statement but leave it totally ambiguous as to how that statement is to be taken, e.g., as a statement of belief, as a question, as a line in a play, as a poetic conceit, as a deliberate lie, etc., then I have omitted a statement about the statement. Ordinarily context supplies the content of the statement about the statement, tells us how the statement is to be taken. But if the context does not, the statement may seem to us "off the wall," crazy.

Well people often do not listen closely to what other people say, they don't digest the speaker's words and hence could be at a disadvantage. So listen carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment